Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Government Chic

The wife-to-be and I traipsed on down to the county clerk yesterday and got our marriage license, a thrilling experience marred only by the unfortunate decor and all-around strange vibes of the building itself. For starters I was taken aback by the chapel window, where a young couple was signing paperwork while dad took pictures. They soon moved into the on-deck circle for the chapel proper, a floral room that I only got a glimpse of. But mostly the space was just a delapidated exhibition of chipped formica. I was trying to think of what might be better, but all I could muster was either future it up and basically turn government offices into erstwhile Apple stores, or get some real craftsmen in there and go back to stained, lacquered wood. And no flourescents! I want to see this...


...or whatever the hell THIS is...


Photos from the excellent Early Office Museum.

1 comment:

S said...

Looking for something like this?

http://www.lewisbond.com/rckwellpgs/psters/marriage.html

http://www.lmaw.org/freedom/page47.htm

Norman Rockwell at his best.